Since the release of Teamfight Tactics on the League of Legends client, many players have already had their fill of grinding pre-ranked games and they are ready to start playing in a more competitive environment. Here is everything we know so far about a Ranked Mode in Teamfight Tactics.
When will TFT Ranked be released?
Teamfight Tactics Ranked Play will be released as part of Patch 9.14 expected to be around July 17, 2019, given that patches are typically released every two weeks.
The ranked season for TFT will go live along with the patch.
Patch 9.14 is currently available in the Public Beta Environment (PBE) and it consists of a number of major updates to the traditional game on Summoner’s Rift as well as the inclusion of Teamfight Tactics Ranked Play.
How will TFT Ranked work?
Overall, the ranked season and play will overall mimic how League of Legends traditionally work. Those familiar with ranked play in LoL will be able to easily understand the progressions in Teamfight Tactics.
Specifically, the tiers and divisions will remained the same. After each game, you will gain or lose LP depending on your performance in your match up. Ranking in TFT will have the same risks and rewards as in the other game mode.
That being said, the higher ranks will be equally as difficult to achieve. Getting Diamond in TFT will have the same significance as getting Diamond on the Rift, and likewise the best of the best will reach Challenger.
According to Riot developers, despite the trying their best to re-create a familiar experience, there are notable differences with TFT Ranked Play, quoted below.
- You’ll gain a lot more LP when you finish a TFT game in first place, since you’re basically beating seven other players in that game. You’ll typically gain some LP if you finish 4th or higher, and lose some LP if you finish 5th or lower, but spots in the middle will have fairly small changes for most games.
- There are no promotion series in TFT. As soon as you hit 100 LP, you’ll promote and carry over any extra LP with you. Since there isn’t a single winner or loser in TFT, promotion series don’t translate very well.
- Since there are no promotion series, there’s less protection and it’s easier to demote. You’ll still only demote if you lose while at 0 LP.
- Your rank will feel like it moves a bit faster in TFT. Removing promo series and decreasing demotion protection means that your rank can jump more rapidly, and you’ll gain (and lose) more LP per game when things go really well (or poorly).
- Premade Ranked restrictions are a bit different for TFT. You can queue with up to five friends if you’re all Gold or lower. If anyone is Platinum or above, you’ll only be able to queue up as three. Check out the image below for the complete breakdown of who can queue with whom.
Will there be rewards for TFT ranked?
Ranked Rewards are still being speculated as the developer update mentioned. There are not yet known rewards that will be specific to Teamfight Tactics; however, considering the amount of investment the team has put into the game, you can be sure that there will be exclusive TFT items that become a major part of the League of Legends “eco-system.”
Currently in with the Teamfight Tactics Beta Pass, you can get a number of items via the “battle pass” system that Fortnite famously introduced. Expect there to be Ranked achievements and ways to make level progression in the Ranked mode.
At least to start, you can expect that Blue Essence and XP will not be part of the per-game rewards in Teamfight Tactics. The developers will evaluate this option in the future, but at least to share they do not want to mix between the traditional game and TFT.
How will the Ranked TFT seasons work?
Seasons may change quite a bit from how they are structured today. In terms of actual dates and timelines, the Ranked TFT seasons may only last a few months. You can compare these seasons to Hearthstone.
However, the Riot Games team has mentioned before in their Design Pillars that Teamfight Tactics will be a game about Knowledge, Flexibility, Fortune, Perception, and Speed.
Seasons will likely vary greatly between each year. The game will maintain its easy accessibility; however, there could be significant differences between each season. Bulk changes in heroes, spells, abilities, and items are all possibilities with Teamfight Tactics.
Featured Photo: Riot Games